Border Mail |
JOEL Coombes hasn’t given up on joining Wangaratta Rovers this year.
Coombes, who yesterday severed ties with East Burwood, planned to sit out the remainder of the season if he couldn’t get to W.J. Findlay Oval before the June 30 clearance deadline.
He didn’t expect the Rams to let him play for Rovers but refused to pull on their jumper again this season, regardless.
Coombes agreed to join the Hawks in late March but has been held to contract by the Eastern football league club.
“It would be nice if they did let me go but I don’t think that will happen,” Coombes said.
“At the end of the day, I’m not happy right now and so I’m going to sit out the rest of the year.
“I had a long think about it and if you’re not happy, what’s the point?
“It’s the same for anything.
“If you hate your job, you get a new one.
“That’s more or less what it’s come down to.
“Everybody knows I didn’t want to be there but they haven’t made playing there appealing for me.
“I think this is the best decision for me.”
Coombes, who has played three games for East Burwood so far this year, accused the club of ruining his passion for the game.
“If you keep playing and playing and disliking it and disliking it, your passion starts to burn away, in a way,” he said.
“I’ve got nothing against the coach and he wanted me to reconsider but I’ve made the decision.”
Coombes, who played for Myrtleford last year, said he was content with sitting out the season if he had to.
He praised the Hawks for their conduct during the ordeal.
“They’ve been great,” Coombes said.
“Footy clubs tend to move on pretty quickly these days if things don’t work out but Rovers have kept in touch with me.
“Barry Sullivan is a quality guy.”
Coombes warned he could take the Ovens and Murray by storm next year if he was forced to miss the rest of the season.
“It will give me a chance to build a massive base for the rest of the year and get stronger and fitter with no injuries, no niggles, no nothing,” he said.
“I’d use the time off like a massive pre-season.”