Country football Games called off as storms hit

gdflWeekly Times |STORMS wreaked havoc on football games on either side of Melbourne last weekend, with multiple games delayed and several called off early.

All of the games in the Geelong and District league suffered delays, and two were abandoned.

While Bell Post Hill and Geelong West Giants split the points because their game was called off nine minutes before half-time, the league was clarifying the result of the Werribee ­Centrals versus Winchelsea match.

Under AFL Victoria rules if a game is stopped and does not resume within 30 minutes the game is called off.

If the game has not reached halftime it’s a draw and the scores are used to calculate percentage, but after halftime scores at the time the game was delayed stand as the final result.

The match at Werribee did not resume after half-time. The league was early this week seeking clarification on whether the 30 minutes had to be taken from after the end of halftime, but league secretary Alan Moore confirmed it was a win to Winchelsea.

In the Nepean Football League, games at Somerville and Pearcedale were called off early, with both the home teams declared the winners.

Somerville was six goals ahead of Red Hill at the time their match was delayed about 7½ minutes into the fourth quarter.

“The storm came through and we just got belted by it,” Somerville president Andrew Palmer said.

“All of a sudden within a minute of the hail turning up the lightning was directly above the ground going across the ground.”

Pearcedale, which had ex-West Coast Eagle Daniel Kerr playing on Saturday, was a goal ahead of Devon Meadows when the game was delayed about five minutes into the last quarter. Club president Margaret Browne said lightning was the concern, while a power outage at the ground, which affected both the new scoreboard and clubrooms, also caused issues.

Meanwhile the Yarra Ranges Senior Football Division 1 match on Sunday between Wandin and Mt Evelyn at Wandin was also hit by a power outage.

Mt Evelyn president Graeme Northey said about halfway through the senior game the lights at the ground and scoreboard went out.

He said the game went on as the light was “adequate enough to play footy in”, but the veterans game scheduled next was cancelled.

Wandin won by 52 points.

Read Full Article